Monday, October 29, 2012

Got Milk?

The October food budget of $160 has been spent.  We have tons of food in our house, including meals for the next week.  So I was feeling pretty good (notice the past tense).  Until I went to make breakfast for the kiddos.  No milk.
Then I had an epiphany.  Free milk at Safeway this week.  3 free half gallons of milk.  After Brisbane and I dropped the other kids off at preschool, we made a milk run.  I walked in and walked out with a gallon and a half and paid nothing.  Not even tax.
It is moments like this when I am so glad I take the time to coupon.  It wouldn't have been any big deal if I took $3 from the November food budget and got some milk.  But why do that when you can get free milk?  
Plus free milk tastes better.  Just ask anyone who has tried it.

2 comments:

  1. Monica, How is it that they were giving away milk? This is a really cool blog. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is how I got my free milk. Safeway has electronic prices and coupons that you can load to your card. The prices are somewhat personalized. I think they are based on your shopping patterns, so not everyone gets the same ones. On this particular week, I had a personalized price of $0.88 for a half gallon of milk. I also had an electronic coupon for $1 off a half gallon of milk, limit 3. So I loaded both coupons to my Safeway card and when the cashier rang up my three half gallons of milk at the register it gave me the price of $0.88 each and then took a $1 for each. That made all of them free.
      The store either didn't realize that they had two electronic coupons that could be combined to give away product (I have also done this with fruit snacks). Or they realize it and just don't expect many casual shoppers to realize it. Or they are using it as an incentive to try to lure couponers into their stores.
      No matter what the 'reason', I was able to get it for free. And even if Safeway gave every customer three free half gallons of milk that week, I am pretty sure they came out in the black.
      Thanks for reading the blog and for the compliment. Keep reading and let me know if you have any other questions, it will give me ideas of what to blog about. I hope you guys are doing great!

      Delete