Monday, November 12, 2012

Meals

What do couponers eat all day?  When I first started couponing, I was worried that all I would be feeding my family was hot sauce and potato chips.  Doesn't sound incredibly healthy...or even all that tasty.
I will admit that back before my husband and I had children we ate a lot healthier and I cooked things from scratch a lot more.  But eating like that is very expensive.  My kids still get fruits and vegetables with every meal (minus breakfast) but I certainly don't make everything from scratch.
Each Monday I am going to attempt to post what we are eating that week for dinner, just so people have an idea (but please don't judge me if you are a health nut).  Keep in mind that I did not necessarily purchase the items for this weeks meals in my last shopping trip, a lot of it comes from what I already had on hand from pervious sales.

(I plan my meals Friday to Friday.  It's strange, but just works that way with the days that I shop.)

Friday:  Frozen Pizza & Green Salad.  We are attempting to eat our way through our freezer since I had to cram all of my chest freezer stuff into my side by side combo when the freezer died a few weeks ago.  Hopefully I will be able to fit the ice maker back in soon.  Plus, who doesn't love Friday Night Pizza?

Saturday:  Hawaiian Haystack Leftovers.  I had some chicken and rice leftover from meals last week and so we just ate naked Hawaiian Haystacks.  The kids LOVE chicken and rice.

Sunday:  Vegetable Soup.  This was Mack's request for the week.  I found a recipe on pinterest and it was totally easy and delicious.  A great mix of canned vegetables and broths, fresh celery and carrots, and frozen peas.  The kids even liked it, I was shocked!

Monday:  Pigs in a Blanket.  We got free hot dogs a few months ago that have been in the freezer.  I am wrapping those in Grands Pillsbury Biscuits (the canned ones) that I have had in the freezer for a while (yes, they freeze fine).  I got the hot dogs and biscuits for free, so this meal is bound to taste great tonight.

Tuesday:  Bean Burritos.  Black Beans.  Cheese.  Salsa.  Tortilla.  Easy.  Delicious.

Wednesday:  Spaghetti & Sausage.  Spaghetti is every frugal persons go to meal.  Plus kids love it.  We don't have spaghetti super often because it is something that I don't love.  But I have some free chicken sausage in the freezer and I love to slice it up with spaghetti.  YUM!

Thursday:  Pasta Salad.  Is that two pasta dishes in a row?  I am losing my touch.  Most families wouldn't consider this a meal.  But it is still pretty warm here in AZ, and this is a light meal that everyone in our family loves.

I always have sides.  A fruit and a vegetable, but I don't plan those out, I just use what I have on hand.  It is certainly nothing gourmet, but it sure is cheap.  The vegetable soup we had last night couldn't have cost more than $2 for the whole pot.

No comments:

Post a Comment